Dobber

Plankenstürmer

• »Dobber« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Registrierungsdatum: 5. März 2006

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2007, 01:05

RDA files

Greetings!

I need to find some information concerning the RDA files, I am trying to help a person that is having problems with the game freezing at startup. It gets to the part of startup when the intro movie should start and it freezes.
The user has an AMD 3500+ processor, 2 GB of ram and an Radeon X1300 video card. The tech guy he has helping him has taken him through a lot of things to no avail. They have determined that it is the intro movie that is causing the freezeup.
I have been asked if there is a way to edit the movies out of the RDA files. Does anyone know if it is possible, or if it has been done or if that would even solve the problem. I know there is a RDA tool in the Annopool, I am unsure if the person would even be able to use the tool. Does anyone have any answers?

Sir Henry

Pensionierter Oberbordschrauber

Registrierungsdatum: 24. Mai 2003

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2007, 08:53

Greetings Dobber,

it should be no problem to replace the intro movie, but this would be an unusual measure. You might encounter similar problems later on in the game. E.g. are you sure your friend has updated the video driver?

If nothing helps, your idea could bring you at least a step further. Be sure to backup the original RDAs! Download the RDA Packer tool and use it to extract all files ("Auspacken") to a temporary folder outside your installation. I am currently not aware which RDA file it is, perhaps somebody can add that info to this thread. You'll find the videos in one of the resulting subdirectories. Replace the one you want (also here somebody should know which file it is) and re-pack ("Einpacken") the RDA file.

You could also try to delete the movie but I do not know what the game will do if it can't find it.

Ask for further help if you can't figure out the German words! :hey:
  Cheers, Sir Henry
Schon im Anno-Pool vorbeigeschaut?

Dobber

Plankenstürmer

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2007, 15:36

This guy has updated all drivers, he has now tried putting in a different video card and rolling back his drivers for it and gets the same result, I had suggested that there might be a problem with his DVD drive, he is not able to try a different drive in his computer at this time, I tried to find in the German forum at Sunflowers info on known DVD drive problems, but not knowing German I didn't rally know what to look for. He and a tech guy have narrowed his problem with the hard freeze of his system to occur when the game tries to play the intro movie. So they thought if they could edit or change the movie they might get it to work, both are sight impaired and probably would have difficulty using the RDA tool.

Thanks for the help, Sir Henry!

drkohler

Master of Editor

Registrierungsdatum: 18. Juni 2003

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2007, 16:07

Zitat

Original von Dobber
This guy has updated all drivers, he has now tried putting in a different video card and rolling back his drivers for it and gets the same result, I had suggested that there might be a problem with his DVD drive, he is not able to try a different drive in his computer at this time, I tried to find in the German forum at Sunflowers info on known DVD drive problems, but not knowing German I didn't rally know what to look for. He and a tech guy have narrowed his problem with the hard freeze of his system to occur when the game tries to play the intro movie. So they thought if they could edit or change the movie they might get it to work, both are sight impaired and probably would have difficulty using the RDA tool.

Thanks for the help, Sir Henry!
If you want to mess around with the videos, you will have to unpack the file "data5.rda" and change the files:
-start_logo_list.txt - a list of the files
-xyz.bik - a text file that contains the parameters for each file
-xyz.hi/low - the movies

However, I don't think it would help with the problem if you simply replaced/killed a file.
The sequence on startup is most likely
1) Setup video player
2) Setup video parameters
3) Play the intro movies
4) Unset the video parameters
5) Unset the player

and most likely his system already bombs in step 1 or 2. But you might give it a try..

In order to do this:
1. make a backup of data5.rda
2. start RDAExtractor and click data5.rda
3. click "auspacken" (extract) and it will prompt for a target directory
Make sure you have a lot of free disk space..
4. Mess with the files in the target directory
5. Use "Einpacken" and click the target directory for data5.rda and it will prompt for the new target directory where the repacked data5.rda will end up (usually the original anno-directory)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »drkohler« (19. Juli 2007, 16:10)

Dobber

Plankenstürmer

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2007, 21:45

Thanks, dr!

I will pass it on!

It may be that he needs to update the player that plays the videos!

annokrat

Schatzjäger

Registrierungsdatum: 15. November 2003

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2007, 22:35

Dobber,
the player should be part of 1701, so no possibility to update this player.

annokrat
  anno 1503, das beste anno aller zeiten.
anno 1701, das anno für ewige anfänger.

Dobber

Plankenstürmer

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 20. Juli 2007, 00:20

Thanks annokrat!

Ordinarily, I would have told the user, tough luck, that we had exhausted all avenues we knew to travel, and that he needed a new machine, but this guy has a disability and limited funds and I just really wanted to be able to help him get the game to run. Oh well!

One thing I really don't like about his system is that the motherboard is nVidia based, his processor is AMD and his graphics card is ATI. In my book that is a recipe for disaster.

W-O-D

Team AnnoZone

Registrierungsdatum: 3. Februar 2003

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 20. Juli 2007, 12:29

Zitat

Original von Dobber
One thing I really don't like about his system is that the motherboard is nVidia based, his processor is AMD and his graphics card is ATI. In my book that is a recipe for disaster.
His Sytem isn't be to bad, i myself runs 1701 on an "old" 2800+AMD Machine with only 1 GB and NForce2 Board. :g: but vor Fullspeed you can't by a PC at Mom. that really is fast enough. :(

annokrat

Schatzjäger

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 20. Juli 2007, 17:23

Dobber,
you're wrong. amd with nvidia- chipset is the way to go. it's still the best way to run a amd-cpu.

annokrat

Dobber

Plankenstürmer

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 20. Juli 2007, 20:04

Zitat

Originally posted by annokrat
Dobber,
you're wrong. amd with nvidia- chipset is the way to go. it's still the best way to run a amd-cpu.

annokrat

An nVidia chipset with an ATI card?

But then I have never gotten good service from an ATI card on any chipset! :D

annokrat

Schatzjäger

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 21. Juli 2007, 02:38

lol, sorry,
nvidiachipset/ati is your probleme, not amd/nvidia chipset.
i have 3 nvidia-boards with amd barton in my home, running very well since years.. with nvidia video cards :D .

annokrat